Youth Environmental Artivist Summit
Pomo Canyon Campground, Sonoma Coast State Park
July 28th – 31st
Our mission is to empower youth to become the next environmental leaders and productive members of their communities. Our 4 day – 3 night community-based Camping Summit provides a fun, safe and challenging experience for incoming high school juniors to develop their leadership skills, explore outdoor recreation, learn about challenging environmental issues, and become empowered to catalyze change in their community creatively.
Who We Are
Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods is a nonprofit organization working in partnership with State Parks to engage and inspire people of all ages through education and stewardship volunteer programs. Located in Western Sonoma County, California, we raise awareness and support to protect and promote our unique natural and cultural heritage.
Raizes Collective is a 501c3 community organization comprised of educators, activists, and community members seeking to empower and mobilize community through the arts, culture, and environmental education.
California State Parks – Our Mission: To provide for the health, inspiration and education of the people of California by helping to preserve the state’s extraordinary biological diversity, protecting its most valued natural and cultural resources, and creating opportunities for high-quality outdoor recreation.
Latino Outdoors brings cultura into the outdoor narrative and connects Latino communities and leadership with nature and outdoor experiences. Our vision is that the diversity of the Latino identity is connected with the diversity of outdoor experiences, and we are active stewards and advocates for our natural spaces, sharing our stories and empowering the next generation of Latino leadership in the outdoors.
Why We Want You to Participate
Our organizations recognize that our goals cannot be accomplish without your help. We are excited to host the 1st Annual Youth Camping Summit, where we will exchange knowledge and perspectives on enviornmental issues. We believe that you are the next generation of environmental leaders in our community who will contribute to the environmental wellness of Sonoma County.
How to Apply
We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that camping equipment, food and transportation (if necessary) will be provided for this event. Please take a moment to review the participant expectations, and proceed with the application below. Thank you for your interest! We look forward to seeing you at the Youth Environmental Artivist Summit at Pomo Canyon Campground!
Prior To Summit
- (Optional) Attend Family Day in Your State Park, a free event, on Saturday June 25th at Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve. This is a great opportunity for you and your family to learn more about our organizations.
- (Mandatory) Attend a Youth Camping Summit Orientation in June or July.
During the Summit
- Attend full 4 day, 3 night program.
- Share a positve attitude, full participation, respectful and responsible behavior.
- Participate in a 4-6 hour stewardship restoration project at Pomo Canyon Campground.
- Participate in a 4-6 hour $35 kayaking tour of the Russian River Estuary (Negotiable).
- Participate in the preperation of meals, keeping the campground clean, and respecting the environment.
After the Summit
- Submit a reflection on your campout experience, to be mailed approximately one week after the campout.
- Submit a proposal for a potential service learning project you will implement in your community.
* Both of the above can be turned in ahead of time, or during the campout.